While several varieties of mushrooms have been established as highly toxic to dogs, there are certain mushroom varieties that can be safely given to them. The wild varieties that can cause fatal problems in dogs include Amanita Phalloides (aka death cap), Amanita Gemmata, Amanita Muscaria, Galerina Marginata, Gyromitra spp., Clitocybe dealbata, and Inocybe spp. However, with little knowledge to distinguish between the mushroom varieties, vets suggest avoiding this food for your dogs.
Symptoms after eating poisonous mushrooms:
Following are the symptoms to look out for after your dog eats mushrooms which are poisonous:
- Increased salivation
- Seizures, coma
- Excessive lethargy or weakness
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea
- Lack in normal coordination, staggering gait
- Jaundice, failure of the liver
- and even death
What substance is bad in mushrooms?
Different mushroom species have different toxic substances and can affect your pets accordingly. Amanita mushrooms, which contain the toxin amanitin, can lead to severe GI problems. It is followed with a false recovery where your dog seems to get better before its liver or kidney fail to work. Some Amanita varieties can cause seizures, loose stools, and vomiting. Inocybe and Clitovybe mushrooms can lead to higher salivation and urination, watery eyes, and many neurological signs.
What to do if your dog eats mushrooms?
The treatment for mushroom poisoning depends on the kind of mushroom, the time lapsed after ingestion, and the symptoms showed by the dog. Thus, it is important that if you can identify these signs associated with a recent instance of your dog eating mushrooms, take him to the vet without delaying any longer.
I am a veterinary by profession and a passionate animal lover. My passion for animals made me become a veterinary surgeon and my vision is to spread animal health and welfare through online dissemination of information and assistance, like what we are doing at 42d.f0e.myftpupload.com.