Can dogs eat watermelon? Yes, watermelon can be given to dogs, especially in summer days. Watermelon not only keeps your dog hydrated, but is also rich in many vitamins like Vitamin A and Vitamin B6. But before giving watermelon to you dog please be cautious with few things that are mentioned in this article. The answer to to your question of ‘can dogs eat watermelon’ is a big yes.
How should you give watermelon to dogs?
The rinds and seeds found in the watermelon should not be consumed by dogs. These seeds or rinds can cause gastrointestinal issues like diarrhea, stomach cramps, or bloating in dogs. It is a small precaution for an amazing treat for your pets.
How Are Watermelon Good For Dogs?
There are two major vitamins available in watermelon:
- Vitamin A: Vitamin A helps in bone growth, reproduction and vision. Vitamin A deficiency is a major reason in stunted growth, night blindness and reproductive issues etc.
- Vitamin B6: Vitamin B6 is helpful in building amino acids which helps in healthy coats and reduces tooth decay.
How Many Watermelons can be given to Dogs?
As said in old adage, too much of good or healthy things is also bad. Watermelon though good for our dogs needs to be given in a limited amount to avoid gastric issues. Watermelon has high amount of Vitamin B6 and Vitamin A, which given in high quantity, can create vitamin imbalance in dog’s body.
As a thumb rule by experts, 10% of calorie in dogs should come from treats or snacks and fruit/vegetables should not contribute more than 20% of dog calorie count.
- 10 Foods That Are Bad For Dogs
- Which home food is best for dogs?
- Fruits that Dogs Can and Cannot Eat