Can dogs eat cashews? There is no definite answer to this question, Cashews are not toxic for dogs and generally dogs relish eating them but some dogs might develop allergy for it and can be life threatening. So if you wish to give it to your dog you need to consult your vet.
How should you give it to Dogs?
If you have discussed with your vet and has decided to give cashews to your dog then the best way to give it is raw without any salt or any other artificial flavor added to it. Cashews should be given without shells so that it does not choke your dog.
How are Cashews Good For Dogs?
Cashews are rich in protein and fat making them a nutritious treat for your dogs. They also carry following vitamins:
- Vitamin E: Helps in keeping good skin.
- Vitamin K: Improves blood calcium levels and improves blood clotting capability.
- Also rich in Zinc.
How Are Cashews Bad For Dogs?
Following are the ways cashews can be bad dogs:
- If given with shells, cashews may lead to choking
- If given in huge amount, can lead to Pancreatitis
- If your dog develops allergy from cashews, then they might start looking swollen, feel extra itchy, and show hives
How Much Cashews can be given to Dogs?
Cashews can be given to dogs after vet consultation. If cashews are given, they should be given in small amounts only and without any salt or herbs.
Fact: As a thumb rule by experts, 10% of calorie in dogs should come from treats or snacks and fruit/vegetables should not contribute more than 20% of dog calorie count.