Can Dogs Eat Avocado? There is no definite answer to this question, Avocado is known to carry a toxin called Persin, which is spread across ripe avocado and is known to be toxic for birds and large mammals like buffalos etc. However humans and dogs are known to be resistant to avocado but there are cases of toxicity by avocado reported before as well.
How should you give Avocado to Dogs?
If you have discussed with your vet and have decided to give avocado to your dog then the best way to give it raw. Please remove pits, skin and stems of avocado before feeding it to your dog.
How Is Avocado Good For Dogs?
There are major vitamins and nutrients available in Avacadoes:
- Vitamin C: Improves the immune system and reduces inflammation.
- Vitamin B6: Helps in protein synthesis for healthy growth.
- Vitamin A: Helps in dog vision and strengthens the immune system.
- Vitamin E: Helps in good skin health.
How Are Avocadoes Bad For Dogs?
One of the main reasons for not feeding avocado to dogs is the doubt around persin toxicity in your dog. If your dog seems to be persin resistant then the main problem can be the pit of avocado which can choke the dog if eaten along with avocado.
How Many Avocados can be given to Dogs?
Avocado, after your vet consultation, can be given to your dog in small amount only. It can be added with other regular feed which your dog eats.
Fact: As a thumb rule by experts, 10% of calorie in dogs should come from treats or snacks and fruit/vegetables should not contribute more than 20% of dog calorie count.
- 10 Foods That Are Bad For Dogs
- Which home food is best for dogs?
- Fruits that Dogs Can and Cannot Eat